I suspect my child is communicating with an online predator. What should I do?
If you think your child may be communicating with an online predator there are several things that you can do:
- Talk openly with your child about your suspicions. Tell them about the potential dangers. Explain about the grooming process so that they will be aware if someone is using these tactics with them. Explain that they are not to blame in any way. Try to understand if there is anything that is bothering them which is causing them to be emotionally vulnerable.
- Check for pornography or any kind of sexual communication on your child’s computer.
- Try to see who is calling your child (use Caller ID ) and block the suspicious number.
- Monitor your child's access to all types of live electronic communications (i.e., chat rooms, instant messages, e-mail, etc.). PureSight PC can help you monitor your child’s online behavior and even block unwanted contacts. Click here to learn how.
- Limit the amount of hours your child spends on the computer and make sure they are not online late at night. PureSight PC can help you do this. Click here to learn how.